Thursday, November 5, 2009

My first ER visit

SO I am 27 years old and never been in the hospital except to birth my baby boy. My parents have both worked in them forever, and have often frequented them to visit, but never went because I needed them. Last night was a different story. First, I have to mention Walker is out of town, isn't that how it always is..when it rains it pours!! Anyway, so Davis would not nurse all day and I was getting very worried. I called the doctor and I guess I was expecting him to say, "no biggie, come see me in the am," I got a very different response. He told me to go to the ER immediately because "he is to little not to be eating." Ummm..what? I have to go where, all by myself. Let's just say I freaked out. I hurried and changed myself and Davis and kept calling Walker. (who by the way did not answer even after I called like 7 times in a row.) I then called my mom, my cousin Erin and my best friend Emily to calm me down a little. When we arrived most of the employees could not believe we were there because Davis was being his usual happy self; however, I told them he had not drank since 7 am (it was almost 6 pm) and they understood our visit. Once the pediatric ER doctor arrived he listened to our story and almost immediately said it was an ear infection. Once he checked the left ear, it was confirmed and we were on our way to the pharmacy to pick up Davis's prescription. Davis slept really well and woke up happy, but still is not nursing and it is after 3pm. To remedy this I have been pumping, but Davis refuses to suck on anything so he is drinking my milk out of a big person cup. What a sight, a 7 month old drinking like he is one big boy. I am just hoping he will get back to nursing soon..not really ready to give it up. Only time will tell. Untill next time....

1 comment:

  1. So, I worked in the ER for years-took care of lots of babies with ear infections-so why am I crying-cause this is one SPECIAL BABY! Glad it wasn't anything worse than an ear infection-hope he recovers quickly-just wish he'd nurse MIA

    ReplyDelete