Thursday, May 19, 2011

on a personal note...

Davis continues to amaze me everyday. Whether it's his memory, his language skills, his ability to put two and two together he AMAZES me. I constantly update his monthly post with all the new stuff he is doing (that I am able to think of at that time) and love telling/showing others how smart he is...BUT...if my child knows all his colors, shapes, can spell his name, know all the animals and their sounds, recognize a million different trucks, know how to get to places in town, recognize peoples cars, remind me of our schedule during the day and when he needs his medicine and can't tell me about JESUS than I have failed as a parent. It is essential, imperative actually that I not only read Bible stories, take Davis to Bible class, tell him Bible stories, sing him Bible songs, BUT that I live a life that is constantly reflecting CHRIST! I am saying this now not because I am an amazing mother and always do this correctly, but to hold myself accountable and do better at this MIGHTY task. Our church family has recently been challenged to become a complaint free church. We wear bracelets that we have to switch wrists when we complain. This is to help us pay attention to the things we are saying and to complain less or not at all. (you are only allowed to complain if the person can do something about it...at a restaurant and your food is not correct, etc) This daunting task was left up to the ones that wanted to take it on and we are attempting to do so. The goal is to be complain free (not switch your bracelet) for 21 days. If you can do something for 21 days it is suppose to be in your long term memory. Walker and I have accepted the challenge and we are on our way. The first couple of days have been rather difficult since we had Davis' surgery on Monday and it was kinda rough. I am using the days where I have to switch my bracelet as lessons in my speech. What am I saying and how does it affect others in a good/bad way. I have to admit I have not had a complaint free day yet, but I am becoming more and more aware of the things I say and pray this will help me in my walk with Christ. All of this I am taking back with my parenting of Davis. I want to be a positive speaker and want him to be able to see Christ in me. Speaking without complaining is a GREAT way to show him how to be Christ-like.
God give me the strength to live for you without complaining. Allow me to live in a way that causes others to see you and your glory. Complaining is so ugly and become very hard to listen too and deal with, it is also very hard to eliminate from my walk. Create in me the willingness to change and become a complaint-free person. Allow Davis to see his parents and know they love you. Give him the words to ask us about this and us the courage, knowledge to tell him about you. Strengthen our relationship as a couple as a family and as Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment